We know this is a difficult time for many Cuyahoga County residents. Many of us are focused on how to keep our families safe during the changes COVID-19 has brought to our lives.
The staff at Cuyahoga Job and Family Services continues to work to make sure residents eligible for Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and other cash benefits, are getting the help they need during this time. Our service delivery methods have changed with most of our workforce working from home, but we remain ready to assist.
You can apply for benefits and manage your case both online and by phone.
Services Online: benefits.ohio.gov
- Programs: Apply for food, medical, cash and child care assistance programs
- Availability: Always available online.
- Things to know: Once you create an account, you can link it to a current case and upload documents virtually.
Services by Phone: 844-640-OHIO (6446)
- Programs: You may call this number regarding SNAP, Medicaid, cash assistance, child care assistance and long term care waiver benefits.
- Availability: The center is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Things to know: You can use this number to apply for benefits, check the status of your case, or enroll in text alerts. See for more information about applying and checking your benefits status:
- To apply: You don’t have to wait on hold! When you call, the wait times may be high to due to the high demand for assistance caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Virtual hold is available for all programs and will hold your place in line and call you back when it’s your turn to speak to a worker. This option is not offered if the estimated wait time will mean your call back is after the center closes at 4 p.m. (NOTE: Medicaid customers may be offered a call-back feature that allows customers to select the date and time and receive a call back from the system, it is only available in the Medicaid queue at this time.)
Checking Benefits Status
If you already have an open case, you can check the status of your benefits by phone without holding to speak to a worker: call 844-640-OHIO (6446).
After selecting your language, press 2. Enter your zip code, SSN and date of birth as MM/DD/YYYY (The system will confirm each identifier as you enter it) The system will provide the status of your medical, food and cash assistance. Then you will reach the self-service menu:
- Press 1 to repeat benefit status.
- Press 2 to sign up for text alerts. (Standard message rates apply)
- Press 3 to receive a text message with your benefit status.
- Press 4 to check the status of recently submitted documents.
- Press 5 for other options or customer service. (Select this to apply for benefits, complete a scheduled interview, renew benefits or report a change)