Cuyahoga Hunger Response Team Mobilizes

Posted on

Rallies to Support Families Amid SNAP Disruption

CUYAHOGA COUNTY — As Thanksgiving approaches, the Cuyahoga County Hunger Response Team is making sure no one goes hungry.

The Cuyahoga County Hunger Response Team, which includes the County’s Department of Health and Human Services, the Hunger Network, the Greater Cleveland Food Bank, community organizations, and local leaders, has focused on filling the gaps created by delayed Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. This coordinated approach ensures that residents can access food quickly and safely, regardless of changes at the federal level.

“No family should face the fear of an empty refrigerator because of delays or disruptions they can’t control,” said Cuyahoga County Executive Chris Ronayne.

The State of Ohio worked to complete automated SNAP distributions last week, however a small portion of cases required some manual completion. Cuyahoga Job and Family Services staff worked on those cases Monday and Tuesday to ensure that residents receive their November benefits before the holiday.

Executive Ronayne adds, “The Hunger Response Team is working every day to make sure residents have access to food. When we come together as a community, we provide stability during uncertain times and ensure no one is left behind.”

In recent weeks, there has been a significant increase in food distribution. When the Hunger Network urgently needed volunteers, the Hunger Response Team answered the call. The Cuyahoga County Office of Emergency Management sent out a call to action to recruit volunteers and filled over 106 volunteer shifts across 18 Hunger Network food pantry locations to address the growing demand for food assistance.

“Our network of pantries is serving more households than ever, families, seniors, working adults, who simply need help,” said Julie Johnson, Chief Operating Officer for Hunger Network. “The coordinated effort allows us to stretch resources further and reach people faster.”

The Hunger Network has reported a 14% increase in the number of households seeking emergency food support since October. Due to the shutdown, the average number of households served by food pantry sites has risen to 18,865.

“As we head into the holiday season, the demand for food remains high,” said Kristin Warzocha, President & CEO of the Greater Cleveland Food Bank. “The support from Cuyahoga County and our shared work through the Hunger Response Team ensures that families can access nutritious food now, when they need it most.”

Residents in need of food can call 2-1-1 or visit the Cuyahoga County Hunger Response Team website for a list of food pantries. Want to donate and/or volunteer? Click here to make a difference in your community.


  
How could we make it better? Leaving an email can assist us in troubleshooting the issue.
  
Thank you for your feedback
Your feedback means a lot to us. We use it to improve the experience of all of our users.