If you’ve lost your job during the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Ohio and Cuyahoga County are making it easier for you to apply for unemployment benefits.
How do I apply for unemployment?
- Online: unemployment.ohio.gov.
- Phone: Extended Hours: Monday - Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Sunday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Toll-free: 877-644-6562
- TTY: 614-387-8408
Note: The CARES Act temporarily allows many self-employed people and part-time workers to apply for benefits. If your employment was affected by COVID-19, contact the resources above.
What do I need to apply?
- Social Security # (SSN)
- Driver’s license or state ID #
- Name, address, email, and telephone #
- Your job skills and occupation
- Information about each employer that you worked for in the past six weeks (Name, address, employment dates, and phone #)
- The reason you are unemployed
- Dependent names, dates of birth, SSN
- If you are claiming dependents: Share the name, birth date, and SSN of your spouse and dependents.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen: Share your alien registration number (your “A-number”)
What other benefits are available?
There are two ways to apply or inquire about benefits:
- Online: benefits.ohio.gov
- Apply for food, medical, cash and child care assistance programs
- Call: 844-640-OHIO (6446)
- Available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Call regarding SNAP, Medicaid, cash assistance, child care assistance and long term care waiver benefits.
If you already have an open case, you can check the status of your benefits by phone without holding to speak to a worker: call 844-640-OHIO (6446).
After selecting your language, press 2. Enter your zip code, SSN and date of birth as MM/DD/YYYY (The system will confirm each identifier as you enter it). The system will provide the status of your medical, food and cash assistance.
I have more questions.
You can visit the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services to read the full list of FAQs.
• You can also contact Ohio Means Jobs Cleveland – Cuyahoga County for phone-in support services.
- Phone: 216-978-1375
- Live chat: OMJ Live Chat