Qualifying Life Event 30 Day Rule
For Employees Experiencing a Change in Life
If you anticipate or are experiencing a change in your life such as a birth of a child, marriage, divorce, this rule is for you.
Changes that you experience in your life may allow you to enroll or may require you to make a change in your benefits coverage. These events are called Qualifying Life Events. Qualifying Life Events include but are not limited to:
- Change in marital status (marriage, divorce, legal separation, death of spouse)
- Change in number of dependents (birth, adoption, placement for adoption, legal guardianship, death)
- Loss or gain of employment by employee’s spouse or dependent
- Loss of benefits coverage
You have 30 consecutive calendar days
You must complete a Benefits Enrollment Form and provide the required documentation within 30 consecutive calendar days of a Qualifying Life Event to add or delete a dependent or to make a change in your benefits coverage.
- Marriage or Divorce - An ex-spouse cannot remain on your County benefits. If a court orders you to pay your ex-spouse’s benefits – You are responsible for finding benefits coverage elsewhere, not through Cuyahoga County.
- Dependents will lose medical, dental and vision coverage at end of the month they turn age 26 (complete a Benefits Enrollment Form within 30 days of their birthday). After age 26, medical, dental and vision coverage is available through COBRA.
For all benefits information and a list of the required documentation, see your HR rep or visit the Employee Benefits site.Visit the Employee Benefits site
General Benefits Questions
For general questions not related to Qualifying Life Events, visit Infor and log a case under Ask HR & View My Cases.Visit the Infor site